Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Road Trip Treasures

I'm back from a brief hiatus. I've spent the last four days with three lovely girlfriends on the shores of Lake Superior. We shopped, explored, hiked, biked, and chilled a bit too. I'll post pictures soon.


Our hotel was in Ashland, Wisconsin, but we spent most of our time in and around Bayfield. There, we found the most wonderful used book store I'd ever experienced. Rows and rows of beautiful old books begging to be purchased. I decided on The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemmingway and a 2-in-1 Sherlock Holmes. Also in Bayfield, we found a sweet antique shop. Elaina and I each picked up a few vintage buttons for our collections.





We stayed at AmericInn. It was no Hilton, but it had all the amenities we needed, including a huge Walmart literally seconds away. After only a few hours, our hotel room was a sight to behold. Our mothers would've been mortified, it was in such disarray. When I couldn't find my sunglasses, it wasn't worth the time and effort to look for them in the piles of girl-things, so I picked up a new pair at Walmart for $5 and they haven't fallen apart yet!

We arrived back in the Cities mid afternoon. Instead of going straight home, we stopped in downtown White Bear Lake for tea. I love this area for it's homey character and charming boutiques and restaurants. We browsed the shops and stumbled upon (what appears to be) a fairly new boutique located just off of 4th Street (the name escapes me, but I will find out for my MN readers). From the outside, we were anticipating prices well above our comfort zone, but to our delight this was not the case. Elaina bought a ring for $10, Keely earrings for $8, and I this fun necklace for $18. We even made friends with the girl working there, she was so friendly and helpful.

It's a joy to travel and acquire treasures from different locations. I know the real treasure was the time spent in the company of my wonderful friends. As life takes the four of us in different directions, I'm hopeful that these relationships will endure.
Thanks, girls, for a great weekend!

No comments: