Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Drum Roll Please

I have long promised to share pictures of my closet remodel. The majority of the project has been done for a couple of months now, but there have been a few stray items that have just recently found their place.



When I purchased my little 700 square foot studio condo, it didn't occur to me that it might house both Steve and I for several years. We seriously considered buying up when we first got married, but the market went kaput and there's been nothing for us to do but stay.



When I first moved in, just little ol' me, there were 4 decently sized closets to fill. And I filled them all. When Steve moved in less than a year later, I gave up 2 of those closets and never even missed them. I had too much stuff. It felt really good to rid myself of it.



Being the recovering shopaholic that I am, it's healthy for me to have a reasonable amount of space for my things, because I will fill any space I have with stuff - mostly stuff I don't need. Now, I'm forced to get rid of items if I'm to make room for new ones.



I like to think my taste has evolved greatly over the last few years. Getting older, changing jobs, weight loss, weight gain, fashionable influences, and numerous other factors have helped me create a wardrobe I'm almost completely proud of. Haha...almost.



I considered cleaning before I took the 'Before' picture, but figured that wouldn't be honest. So, here it is in all it's messy glory:


BEFORE


It was quite a feat making a space this small more efficient, but I think my mom and I accomplished the task. We replaced the old shelving. We added another hanging rack. We utilized the corners with corner shelving and sliding bars. And I got rid of a lot of stuff.



AFTER

I purchased all new wooden shirt and skirt hangers at IKEA. The thick white plastic hangers are from Target and are sturdy enough to hold my pants.

Here is how I've organized some of my accessories:


Belts



Sashes/Ties



Necklaces, Scarves, Ect.
(jewelry board made by friend Erika)


Working with limited space is challenging, but I'm learning how to make the most of it. The pictures don't reveal all that this tiny space contains:

Shirts
Pants
Skirts
Jewelry
Scarves
Belts
Socks
Unmentionables
Hats


Excuse me while I pat myself on the back. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabuous work! Good for you! Thanks for sharing. (TW)