Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Red, White & Blue, Day 2


I thought to call this look "bus driver chic", because it's very uniform-ish.  Then Steve said I reminded him of Alice from the early episodes of The Brady Bunch.  I'm ok with that too.

Not sure where I got this skirt.  It's one of those that seemed like such a smart purchase...a basic, navy skirt.  But the waistband always sat low on my hips, only drawing unwanted attention to my widest area.  I finally concluded that if I wasn't going to do something about the fit, it was going to have to find a new home.  So I devised a way to take it in without the use of a sewing machine or visit to a tailor.  Basically, I pleated and hand-stitched the waistband.  And for what it is, doesn't look too darn shabby.  If anyone ever noticed, I would be surprised.  I would do a DIY on this convenient cheap maneuver sometime, but I fear the judgement of real sewers everywhere.

What matters is that I solved the problem and the skirt gets a chance. 

Shirt:  JCPenny
Necklaces:  ?
Skirt:  American Eagle, thrifted?
Shoes:  Unlisted via Herbergers

9 comments:

Amy said...

You look beautiful!!!

KP said...

I can't tell based on the pictures that it was sewed...looks great!

http://dressedtostudy.blogspot.com/

alltumbledown said...

Great quick and dirty tailoring job! The fit is really flattering on you now.

eek said...

As someone who is a complete idiot when it comes to sewing, I think you did a fantastic job! Those shoes are fabulous too!

orchidsinbuttonholes said...

Those shoes are darling! I love the red houndstooth check and the buttons. So summertime! Fantastic paired with the blue, too - great fix for the fit of the waistband.

Melissa said...

I love this outfit! The skirt looks great on you and those shoes are ADORABLE!

Sarah said...

LOVE the shoes!!!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

this is ultra pretty on you, and the cut of the skirt is fabulous!

Girly Muse said...

hahaha, Alice...that's funny! You're wayyyy cuter than Alice. ;)