Friday, September 10, 2010

Breakthrough

I had a minor breakthrough the other day regarding my bargain-shopaholic "problem".  There were several dresses in my size on the 75% off clearance rack at Target...you know the one.  We're talkin' $8 or less.  I took two to the dressing room.  The $8 dress was too big, but the $5 dress fit quite well.  It wasn't super flattering and enhanced my bustiness...an attribute I don't wish to draw attention to.  But I liked the color and the style and of course, the $5 price tag.  I told myself that it was a good purchase.  A multi-seasonal dress.  Worn with a minimizer bra, I would like it more.  I could layer it in several ways.  It's only $5.  All the typical justifications....

It remained in my cart for the duration of my shopping.  I started thinking about all of the other dresses in my closet.  Where does this dress fit in?  Space is limited.  How much value will this dress have in my wardrobe?  I'm willing to spend $5 on it, but would it be in my cart if it was even $10?  If not, then I can only conclude that I'm buying it because I like the price, not the dress.

I got all the way to the register and had to make a decision.  Do I want this dress?  Or do I want to spend only $5 on any dress?  I would have much fewer and better stuff if I could be this clear of mind and honest with myself over every potential transaction.   I handed the dress over to the cashier to return and saved myself $5.  $5 that can now go toward something I really love and want.

I would like to think that I can keep this thought process going, but only time (and future trips to Target) will tell.



Now, about this outfit:  I'm holding on to summer with bright colors and a floral pattern while embracing fall with thicker layers and added foot coverage.  Love that I can buy a skirt at Old Navy one summer and a sweater a year later and it's like they were bought off the same mannequin.


And in other news:  Miles is getting so big and smart.  It's bitter-sweet.

Pearls:  Gift from Stevie
Sweater:  Old Navy
Skirt:  Old Navy
Boots:  Madden Girl via DSW.com

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

I like the orange out you. The boots make it a little more autumnal.

Miles is still a cutie. Aren't pugs fun?

Tara said...

Love the outfit! Especially the skirt!
As for Target... I tend to have the same problem. I was there (the same night as you I believe!) and there were some super cute boots for only $7. Kind of like the ones you are wearing. I almost bought them even though they were size 10 and I wear an 8 1/2 or 9. I tried to justify how I would make up the extra room, but I ended up walking away. I'll have to go back to check out the $5 dresses though =]

Someone said...

Yay orange! I love orange too.

Your post makes me think of the mental dance I do all the time over things that are cheap. It's not that I buy anything because of the price, it's that I start to wonder WHY things are so cheap.

Even if it does save me a lot of money to buy things I need really cheaply, I will be feeding the Chinese machine (or the poisonous/non-local industrial food complex), and I hate that. It is an unsustainable situation and we will be paying for it dearly. Well, we already are, environmentally. It's bad.

Oh, and there's always the current issue with Target throwing money at conservative politicians that want to limit freedoms. That is also, IMO, bad.

NoGuiltFashion said...

You just wrote my story for every time I enter a Target. Things go in and out of that cart so fast my husband looks like he is watching a tennis match.
www.noguiltfashion.blogspot.com

Anna said...

I am the same way, especially at Target! I never end up wearing those "great deals" and then they aren't such a great deal at all.
And I LOVE that skirt. The print is very Liberty of London.

whenlifehandsyouapear said...

Beautiful outfit! I love the boots.

I did the same thing with a dress at Target the other day. It fit, but it would have looked better with a cardigan over it, and a heavy duty shaper under it. And then I realized I was trying too hard to make it work, and it would probably be another item hanging in my closet with the price tag on it months later, so I put it back.

Good for us for saving some money. ;)

Shelley said...

I have the same issue at Target. That is a huge step though, realizing that even at an amazing price point you don't need the item. Something I can take a lesson from :) Miles is getting so big! You look great and I love the boots.

Kate said...

I love that I got to see this outfit "live"! It was super adorable in person, a fact that I think I neglected to mention. :-)

Emily said...

Good decision. Put that $5 towards something amazing :) Love your cute little Miles! How old is he?

Jilliebeanie said...

Miles will be 4 months next week! He's so fun and smart and though he's a handfull, I can't imagine life without him now!

Melissa said...

You are my hero. That's something that I struggle with so often and I typically end up buying it anyway. I'm so proud of you! That's a really big deal.

I adore this outfit on you. I really love the bright oranges and flowers and the subtle pattern mixing with the stripes in the top. Those boots are fantastic too!

Girly Muse said...

love this outfit!!!

and miles! he's getting so big. :( such a handsome fella.

Katy said...

I proud of your self-evaluation. You are a much better woman, for I would have bought that $5 dress, and never worn it, but still felt completely justified. I also owned that very skirt when I was a much smaller woman.