Friday, October 15, 2010
Friend Friday: Baby Steps of Blogging
Happy Friday, everyone! Who's ready for the weekend? ME!!!
Katy of Modly Chic has dished out yet another great set of questions for Friend Friday! Ready? Here we go:
1. How has your blog changed over the months/years you've been blogging?
Oh gosh, I feel like it's changed SO much and is continually evolving.
When I first started this blog, I didn't really want anyone to know about it. I was very insecure about putting my thoughts and wants on the Internet and needed time to let it simmer. Starting out, I never dreamed that I would have followers, that I would take outfit pictures, or that I would make this a daily thing.
2. What was one thing you did wrong in the beginning and how have you changed that?
I'm sure I did many things wrong, but the biggest one was lack of visual content. Before I had labeled myself as a "style" blog it might not have mattered quite as much, but once my written content went primarily in that direction, I needed more pictures. Style/fashion is a visual art.
3. When you visit a blog what's the greatest turn off? The thing that makes you close the tab?
First and foremost: Music! Unless it's a music blog (and I know it's a music blog) I won't even give it a chance, I will close the window immediately.
Secondly: a fashion blog that has poor quality pictures...dark, blurry, too small, too large, ect. Better to post just one good picture or no picture at all than to have a series of bad ones. Now that I have an ibook, I'm using iphoto to enhance my pictures, but before that, I was using picnik.com. It helped a lot.
4. How did you find your voice?
I don't know that I've found it entirely. Like I said, this blog is continually evolving (as I am). My "voice" is slowly, steadily getting stronger. And I'm totally cool with (and amazed by) the natural progression.
I have considered numerous tones and themes for Spoils of Wear, but at the end of the day, it's just me...what I want to write about, outfits I want to post, my shopping, my travel, my life...it's authentic and that's good enough for me. At some point in the last (nearly) two years, I stopped over-thinking it and just let it ride. I'm happier, and my blog is better for it.
5. If you had three pieces of advice to give to a new blogger what would those be?
1. Give it time. Lots and lots of time. Years maybe.
2. Get involved. Participate in your blogging community. Friend Friday is a great example. Comment on other blogs. Join Weardrobe, Polyvore, Chictopia, Lookbook, ect.
3. Consider your content. I like blogs that are down to earth, well written, visually appealing, and original. If you don't have anything worthwhile to post for a day or two, give yourself a break but don't forget to COME BACK.
On this topic, Elaine of Clothed Much recently posted a GREAT set of blogging tips here.
T-Shirt: Ross, Atlanta
Bag: Gift Shop, Las Vegas
Shoes: Charles David via 6pm.com
Posted by Jilliebeanie at 7:45 AM