Friday, October 8, 2010

Friend Friday: Criticism

We're back to participating in the latest discussion topic for Friend Friday via Modly Chic.  This week's all about blog criticism...thought-provoking stuff.  But before we hop to it, an outfit pic:




I'm super in love with the cape/poncho trend this season.   The is like a cape/poncho hybrid, but for now, let's call it cape.  I am now the proud owner of 2.  You know who I've found to have the best selection of capes?  My local thrift store.  With both of my purchases, I was at the thrift store specifically looking for a cape.  Both times I hit the jackpot with items that still had the orignal price tags on them - whoohoo!  This one I bought earlier this year.  My other, more recent cape purchase is to DIE for.  You'll likely see it next week.

Cape:  JCPenny brand, thrifted via Valu Thrift
Skirt:  Target
Boots: Kelly & Katie via DSW
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. Do you allow comments on your blog? Why or why not?

Yes. Because I care about my readers and am interested in what they have to say.  I want to be accessible. I like the interaction.  It's much more casual than email (to me).


2. Do you think at times people leave comments that are insincere or not well thought out? (like the ones who write two words and just seem to be trying to comment on as many blogs as possible.)

Who is to say a comment is insincere? I believe most of the comments I receive ARE sincere. I suppose there are folks who are just bored or write random comments to be seen within the community, and that's ok too. I really appreciate those who take the time to comment at all, whatever their motive, so long as it isn't a bully comment, it's ok with me.


3. Would you ever leave a comment that could be considered negative?

No, not intentionally. If I don't like or am indifferent about what I see/read on another blog, I just go about my merry way without comment. Though I will say, that sometimes I try to be funny or sarcastic and that can be hard to pull off in text-form. I just hope people get me.


4. Most people claim to like constructive criticism. Do you really and how do you offer that kind of criticism to others?

Do I like to receive constructive criticism? No. Who likes to be criticized? - constructive or not. Will I take constructive criticism? Sure. I'll listen/read, take the opinion into account, and won't take it personally. If someone doesn't like something I'm wearing or the way I styled it, that's cool. Different points of view are welcome on my blog, though it probably won't change the way I feel about something.  Now, if someone wants to "constructively criticize" me as a person based solely on my blog, I might have a little problem with that.
I never intentionally criticize on other blogs. I don't really see the point.


5. Some bloggers don't allow comments in order to cut down on negativity. Do you think that is the way to go or are there other ways to deal with the negative vibes?

I have NEVER gotten negative vibes from anyone but a few cowardly, anonymous commenters. I turned off the anonymous comment option for a while after receiving a series of bully comments. I won't address them, I won't publish them, I won't tolerate them. I don't have the time or the stomach for that crap.  If my non-anonymous comments ever did take a negative turn, I would have to seriously contemplate what was causing it.  I don't think I'd ever turn off comments entirely, but would screen more thoroughly.



10 comments:

Sadie's Momma said...

I'm a bully! RAWR! Just kidding. :) I liked the FF topic this week. It was interested to answer the questions and read everyone's commentary, too.

P.S.- I want a cape, but sometimes when I try them on, I feel like I'm flying, and then with belted ones like yours, I feel like I don't know where to put the belt on my body or I'm restricting my arms or something. HELP.

Hope said...

You make that cape look super-chic! Don't you love it when you're at the thrift store looking for something specific and then, BAM there it is?! Nothing better!

Someone said...

I was thinking about capes the other day because of how the early 1960s is influencing a lot of styles this year with Mad Men references, and my mom was always into chic capes years ago. I didn't realize they really were "back!"

This one looks really cute on you BTW - and it reminds me of a top style known as a Hawaiian poncho, that used to be made from barkcloth in Hawaii. I have a bright fruity colored one that is kind of hard to wear...but I love it.

Ashley J said...

Wow, really liking that cape on you...may have to try this trend now that I saw your outfit pic!

http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

Kimberly said...

LOVING THIS!! I am super excited about the cape/poncho trend still going strong too. I scored a fabulous plaid cape last year that is vintage (based on the tags - 70s) for only $2. Now if only the temps would get out of the 80s so I could wear it!!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

comments are fun :) I cut down on the negativity by changing it so you have to have an account to make a comment.
cute cute cute outfit by the way. &love the fall leaves :)

LyddieGal said...

I had several ponchos in high school, but a bunch of friends teased me and said I looked like a lamp shade and I haven't worn them since.

But since they are in this year, I might have to dip my toes into cape water again.

I like your plaid findings, the tie at the waist really makes it chic and un-lamp shade like.

Chic on the Cheap

eek said...

Fantastic cape! I love what you are wearing today :)

Leah said...

I absolutely LOVE this cape and the outfit you've put together with it!

Fun reading today =)

JB BRUNER :) said...

I love, love, love that cape!!