Friday, March 4, 2011

All Natural


Are you completely sick of me going on and on and on about my dog?   Don't answer that.

Miles has been one crazy pup.  We were told that puppies need a lot of sleep (like babies), but that never seemed to be the case for Miles.  He slept well at night, but the rest of the time - crazy time.  We were also told that Pugs don't need a lot of space (good for our tiny condo) and weren't typically very athletic.  We often wish the little guy had more space to play fetch in the house and he couldn't be MORE athletic.

So he's had some ahem...'digestive issues' lately.  It started a couple weeks before we left on our trip.  Got the boy some antibiotics for a supposed parasite and assumed all was well.  Then during the 10 days my mom had him, he got sick AGAIN.  Not wanting to take him to the vet, she researched home remedies for sick pups.  She started him on real food - rice, chicken, veggies - kept him hydrated on black tea, and any dog food given was adult, all-natural instead of puppy food. 

When Steve and I got home, I immediately noticed a change in Miles.  He was WAY calmer and seemed more content overall.  I thought he was just exhausted from being sick and playing with Murphy (mom's Schnauzer) for days on end.  We've been home 6 days now, have kept up with his new diet and his disposition is astonishing.  He's sweeter, more focused, more obedient...seriously the perfect dog.

Maybe this new behavioral pattern is temporary and I'm all excited over nothing.  But I have a feeling that we might be seeing the 'real' Miles.  Whatever it was - allergy, hormones, ect., we'll do what we have to to keep this up.  I loved him before, but now...it's just so much easier.

Know who else is going all-natural (at least in this picture)?  Me.  I could get really used to baggy skinnies (oxymoron?), layered over tights, with comfy, unfussy, warm accessories and no make-up.  But I won't.  However, it was completely appropriate when I wore it on this day.

Hat:  Target
Scarf:  Gap
Sweater:  Gap, thrifted
Jeans:  H&M
Boots:  KMart
Bag:  Thrifted via ARC's Value Village

15 comments:

Minnesota Maven said...

You look fantastic! I love the pops of red and yellow!

On the pup front, who woulda thunk that changing the food could change his disposition? I hope it continues!
Kinda makes me wonder if I could change my disposition with a little better food!

WobiSobi said...

You are just to cute!! and Our Dog, a chocolate lab, went though something similar. I put her on the same type of diet for about 6 months and it helped her out a lot, now we have switched her to Rachel Ray's chicken and veggie food and she seems to be doing great.. Poor puppy! sounds like all is well now though.

Fashion Momma said...

Aww, poor Miles! But I'm glad he's doing tons better. It's amazing how dogs (and people) can react so quickly to good change.

And I think you look adorable. All.the.time.

Gracey said...

I am not tired of hearing about Miles - I love how much you love your dog, I think it's very, very sweet. And I am glad that he's calmed down a bit for you guys.

But, enough about Miles (lol). I love that yellow scarf on you - you look fabulous and very warm.

Gracey
http://fashionforgiants.blogspot.com

Gracey said...

I am not tired of hearing about Miles - I love how much you love your dog, I think it's very, very sweet. And I am glad that he's calmed down a bit for you guys.

But, enough about Miles (lol). I love that yellow scarf on you - you look fabulous and very warm.

Gracey
http://fashionforgiants.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

You look cute and wintery.

Maddie gets Natural Balance Duck and Potato food. It's the only thing we've found that doesn't give her stomach troubles.

Kayla said...

I have never heard of that diet for dogs but it totally makes sense. Dogs need natural food just like people need to lay off the processed junk. Love your jeans.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

silvergirl said...

I love your hat and scarf!
Can't believe you still have snow on the ground and we have flowers and trees blooming here
Brett

Lemondrop Marie said...

Never stop talking about dogs! You are both tres cute-

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Tara said...

So cute! That hat is seriously adorable, and I love the color of the scarf! Your dog is too cute! Glad you are getting his digestive issues worked out :)

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

Awh this is such a lovely post. I'm deep in love with all pugs. x hivennn

jennieclaire.com said...

Cute outfit, I love the yellow!!

I completely understand what you are talking about. I feed my dogs a completely natural diet (I'm usually shy to talk about it because people are very judgmental)and they are very healthy and have good behavior (they are still in the puppy-ish stage so it's all relative). I switched them after reading about all the horrible stuff in dog food and knowing that I want them to have happy and healthy lives for as long as possible. I can tell you more if you are interested, jennieclairestyle@gmail.com.

Mallory said...

I love baggy skinnies!!! SO comfy!!

Between Laundry Days said...

I LOVE the bright hat and scarf!

Deborah said...

My puppers used to have 'issues' as well and I put him on grain-free food I found at Chuck and Don's. He's so much happier (and so are we).

Your little dude is adorable. And so if this outfit.