Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Leather Skirts



Don't be confused by the snow.  I'm trying to catch up on pictures from last week.  It was snowy one day, melted the next.  Snowy, melty, snowy, melty.  Such is life in Minnesota.

This amazing leather skirt was 75% off at My Sister's Closet winter clearance sale.  It had about a foot of additional length on it, but I saw it's incredible potential.  It became the first garment I've ever taken to a tailor.  Sooooo special.  I typically give all my hemming to my mom to do at her convenience, but I was so anxious to wear this that I took it in right away to take care of the fraying liner.  And now that I know the convenience of a tailor within mere walking distance from work...it might become a habit.  Maybe.  Or I might still be too much of a cheapskate.  We'll see.

I have decided to begin hoarding vintage, leather skirts.  I have the one you see here and this one and just purchased a light gray one while thrifting on Monday.  It just barely fits.  I considered being a good friend and giving it to my BFF Elaina to wear or use the fabric for a bag.  But then I started following The Concrete Catwalk (thanks to Jentine) where I spotted this leather skirt - LOVE.  So...I intend on doing exactly that to the gray skirt (sorry, E) even if it means skipping a meal or two (j/k).

Blouse:  Old Navy (Outlet?)
Sweater:  Banana Republic, thrifted
Skirt:  thrifted via My Sister's Closet
Tights:  Target
Shoes:  DSW

15 comments:

Sal said...

Right there with ya: I think I own at least five thrifted leather skirts.

This one ROCKS. So perfect with the bow blouse!

Kinsey said...

SNOW??! I'm glad I live in the tropic paradise known as Indiana right now, haha. This outfit is beautiful, and will be so perfect again next fall!

Ruby Girl said...

way to make that skirt fab!! i've never taken anything to the tailor, but can't wait til i do :) <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

That skirt looks great. i think I have bad thrifting luck, because I never find anything leather.

Judy C said...

Your whole outfit is terrific, especially the skirt.

Brittney said...

my favorite outfit on you. EVER. jill! how are you so stinking cute in everything?
beautiful move on snatching this skirt right up and getting it tailored. i applaud you wholeheartedly. think of how much use you'll get out of it! makes me want to run out and purchase leather leather leather.
-brittney
http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love your skirt. The leather skirts I tend to see are pencil but this is a wonderful cut. Great find.

Along Abbey Road said...

This outfit is amazing! I think I might need to copy it, it's so cute!

Along Abbey Road

Sherry Jarwin said...

This combo is so beautiful! The soft yellowy-creamy sweater and the bow blouse.... perfection! Makes the leather skirt look so soft and just the right amount of edge to be so modern. LOVE IT!

Girly Muse said...

oh my goodness, that skirt makes my heart skip a beat! it's delightful!!!

jessie said...

eek! so glad you loved the skirt i cut up!!! :) thanks for the mention, too. so glad i found your blog, dear!

XOXOXO

Jess said...

The skirt is awesome. I would have never thought to take it to a tailor. Such an easy fix! Gotta keep my eye and my imaginiation open when I go thrifting.

Babes in Thriftland said...

You are too cute! I too will start looking for vintage leather. However, I never find ones as nice as the ones you have. Keeping my eyes peeled. It's on!

Mrs. J said...

Oooh, Go Girl!! You looks so classy and hot at the same time. I never find any cool leather skirts at the thrift store just ugly pants. Jealous!! :)

Iris said...

My mom normally does all my tailoring but, there is one dress that I have been tempted to take to an actual tailor. I just have to find a good one. I love your finished product! The outfit looks lovely :)