Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Generous Advice

Shirt:  Vintage, thrifted via Valu Thrift
Belt:  unknown
Pants:  Cabi, thrifted via ARC's Value Village
Shoes:  BCBG Girls via Marshall's?

Here's a little fashion tip for ya: 

When ironing, start with the temperature setting lower than what you think the fabric requires and adjust from there.  Why, you ask?  Because melted fabric in the shape of your iron is not cool.  It has never been cool.  It will never be cool.  (Unless Alexa Chung starts a new trend or something...then maybe.)

What would have been cool is if I still had the option of wearing this shirt out.  I don't.  Why, you ask?  Because there is now a massive spot on the lower portion of the shirt that looks a lot like my iron (it is).  Which brings me to my next piece of advice:

IF you're not going to start the temperature low, do not start ironing in a highly visible area of the garment.  (High-five for that advice!)

I'm a learn-by-experience type of girl.  But you can learn from MY experience, ok?  Isn't that generous of me?  No really, it's my pleasure.  You're sooooo welcome.

14 comments:

Kimi said...

I can't even begin to recall all of the garments I've ruined with my cheap, too-hot iron. Lesson learned (one would think). Great color on you!

Josie said...

Oh, Jill, I'm so sorry about that top! It's really cute and such a killer color on you. On the bright side, it looks adorable tucked in!
xo Josie

The Little Bit said...

Ohhhhhh, GIANT bummer. I've so been there. On a BRIDESMAID dress (who does that, anyway?). Thank you for sharing your advice, because I'm the girl who'd totally do it again.

Every time I iron ANYTHING, I'm going to think of you. Jill, you're so kind (and this outfit is amazing).

N said...

I'm sorry that your shirt is deformed, but dang! I dig the shirt tucked in. Your legs look a million miles long!

eek said...

I hate ironing so sometimes I will wear an item wrinkled rather than ironing it!

Your blouse is so lovely, especially that bright color! At least you can still wear it tucked in :)

TaraMixandMatch said...

I so suck at ironing! I bought a steamer, and find it so much easier! Love the color of this top :)

Bombshell Beauty said...

I gave up my iron in favor of a hand steamer- easier and less likely to scorch stuff. :) You look great in this outfit - every detail is perfect.

Emma said...

What a shame! That's a really cute shirt. Just do what I do...don't iron! Haha, I have a bottle of wrinkle-release spray for when things are annoying but not bad. I break out my iron once or twice a month, and usually only for tricky hems. Never for shirts. Dear God, not the shirts!

two birds said...

that's too bad cause it's a cute shirt! luckily you have these awesome pants to cover up the spot!

Andie said...

I love this outfit on you- so if anything you can just keep repeating this outfit because it just looks awesome!

sorry about your shirt though. :(

Katie Lassi said...

Buy a steamer! They go on sale at Target pretty often for $25 and they are faster and easier than an iron. I love mine.

monster cakes said...

So all ironing tragedies aside, this is one of my favorite outfits that you've ever worn! High waisted pants. Tie blouse. I swoon! Lookin' lovely my dear.

Mrs. J said...

Oooh, the famous iron burn. I usually cry and throw the shirt in a corner after that. Since you have it tucked in and invisible to us. I believe it's still a keeper! ;)

Cute wide leg pants!

Shasie said...

I totally did this with a motel iron. I had it on the lowest setting for a silk top, and it was just faulty and it burned a whole right through my top. I was able to salvage it by safety pinning the top together under the bow, but I definitely learned my lesson!!

Shasie of Live Life in Style
Wrinkle In Time Vintage Giveaway