Thursday, November 14, 2013

It's a Miracle

Hoodie: Prairie Underground,  T-shirt: Universal Studios, Necklace: Girly Muse
Shorts: LOFT, gifted,  Tights: KMart, Bag:  Jessica Simpson via TJ Maxx
Boots: Frye, thrifted via ARC Value Village


Have you ever experienced a miracle?  By definition, an occurrence so rare and/or perfect it could only have derived from a supernatural source.  How 'bout a fashion miracle?

Let's start with the boots.  Once upon a Wednesday, I told my co-worker that I was in search of a pair of black, heeled, Frye boots.  Not something I can readily afford, but I figured with patience and persistent, I could find what I wanted at half price...or so.

Fast forward a few hours (that's right, hours).  I had arranged for my church youth group to volunteer at ARC Value Village.  Our first assignment was to open boxes labeled 'Halloween Shoes', find the matching pairs, and put them in bins to go out on the sales floor.  Mixed in with some hilarious costume shoes, there were a few that seemed pretty normal.  I pulled a pair of simple, black boots out of a box.  They were a little dusty, but beautifully worn.  I paused to admire the buttery leather.  I turned them over to examine the condition of the sole, and a little brand stamp caused my heart to flutter - FRYE!  Frantically, I dug through the interior of the boot to find the size - 7.5!  Holy buckets.  Buckets of holiness.

With quivering voice, I asked the supervisor if I could set them aside.  "Whatever you want for them, I'll pay it."  But I had to let them go out on the sales floor - rules n' stuff.  I knew they'd be waiting for me at the end of my shift.  It was destiny.  A gift from Jesus.

2 hours and $4.80 later, they were mine.  I took them to my local shoe repair guy for some TLC and they're good as new.  What would have potentially been hundreds of dollars and multiple hours of web searching just appeared in my hand.  That's a miracle.

And there's more...

My Super Pack Pug t-shirt got me and 4 friends to the front of the Men in Black ride line at Universal Studios.

The shorts were a gift from a friend (thanks, Sandy!).  She found them for $0.88 at LOFT and knew I'd a appreciate such a deal.  Oh, heck yes I do.

My necklace went missing for 2 years.  It's reappearance was nothing short of miraculous as far as I'm concerned.

I don't deserve these things.  I don't often ask for freebies.  I rarely pray for my many materialistic desires.   But miracles happen anyway.  All the time.  Lately, I've just been awake enough to notice.  And boy, am I grateful.



Psst. Here's a giveaway.

4 comments:

Cate @ Wild Ruffle said...

$4.80?! That is a true miracle. And you wear them well. :)

Bethie The Boo said...

WOW! That is one of the best deals I've heard! Lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

LOVE!

Lillyannette said...

OMG! A true fashion miracle!

XO,

Lillyannette