Friday, October 31, 2014

Minnesota Loves Mocs

It's true.  Minnesotans LOVE moccasins.

In my imagination, this is how it all went down in the year 1858:

Settler #1: "Hey, let's turn this frozen territory into a state.  We'll give it an Indian (they meant 'Native American') name to soften the blow that we're taking over their land..."

Settler #2: "How about 'Minnesota'?"

Settler #1:  "Perfect.  The Dakota-Sioux Indians are gonna love that."  (Again, they meant 'Native American'.)

Settler #3:  "Have you guys noticed their shoes?  They're fashionable AND functional.  I believe they call them 'moccasins'.  We should take those too."

All:  "Excellent."




150+ years later, we're still crazy about moccasins.  I'm grateful.  Our most popular home-grown brand is Minnetonka Moccasin.  I own their bootie style and slipper moc.   Sometime in the near future, I'd like to acquire a colorful, cota moccasin from Itasca Leathergoods.  But if this winter is anything like last year, a light layer of deerskin isn't going to cut it.  I'll have to go all out Mukluk, preferably accented with fur or Aztec fabric.

Teeny Bee Boutique carries Minnemocs.  Seriously, the cutest moccasins for babies.   What's to stop me from trying them on a Pug?  Nothin'.  'Cept I'd have to buy 2 pair per dog.


Thank you, Native Minnesotans.   Your footwear is awesome.

No comments: