Monday, November 10, 2014

Love Your Jeans

My life revolves around denim.  I wear it.  I sell it.  I love it.  There is a science to finding the right pair of jeans.  It requires a lot of patience, attention to detail, and an honest accomplice who will tell you whether or not your booty looks good (it's all about that bass, ya know).

I believe good denim can be found at every price point.  I have jeans from the junior's clearance rack at Target, moderately priced denim from the Gap, and premium denim upwards of $200.  I'm working on a list of my favorite brands.  The only way to know what looks and feels good is to try them on.  When you do finally find your denim soul mate, it's wise to know how to care for them.

Scarf: Forever 21,  Shirt: Gap,  Bag: Duluth Pack
Jeans: Hudson (Collin) & Shoes: DV Dolce Vita via Sisu

1.  Expect expansion.  Most modern day denim has some percentage of spandex or lycra in it.  It's meant to make the jeans fit snug without sacrificing comfort.  But first, you have to buy them tight.  Ideally, as snug as possible without tempting the muffin man.  Because here's what happens when those stretchy fibers have been exposed to your warm body for any great length of time: they loosen and your jeans begin to sag.  You'll notice it first in the knees, butt, waist, or around the crotch.  By lunchtime, you're ordering an extra burrito in hopes of keeping your pants on for the rest of the day.  No bueno.  Buy your jeans tight because they're probably going to grow.

2.  The less you wash your jeans, the better.  My pants are exposed to stinky pugs, so I do a lot more laundry than I'd like (it's worth it).  When we must, the correct formula = cold water + gentle cycle + inside out.  To preserve the color of your darker denims,  add a cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle.

3.  Skip the dryer.  For the same reasons explained in #1, it's best not to dry your jeans.  Over time, the heat will breakdown the fibers and what was once a perfect fit is now a bit warped.  Hang dry your jeans.  If you're dealing with wrinkles, a few minutes on the fluff cycle should do the trick.

Now that you know how to love your jeans, it's time to dress that bass.   Feel free to tag @spoilsofwear on Instagram to show me your favorite pair!


No comments: