Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Reivew: Maybe Maby

Buy it on Amazon
Meet Maby (rhymes with baby, short for Mabel). I've started and scrapped several book reviews about her.  Mainly because she's complex and I want to do her justice without giving too much away.

Of Willow Aster's leading ladies, Maby is definitely the crazy one.  It's not that I like her more or less than Sparrow or Caroline.  I just identify more with a character whose issues are more internal than circumstantial.  Maby has plenty of both.

Even before Maby's mom (her only true friend) dies tragically, there are problems.  She's left grief-stricken and alone with only obsessive routines to keep her from completely losing it (me: also a lover of routine, especially during dark times).

Chance encounters with guys from her past temporarily distract from her dismal life, but the result is more complication and heartache.  And the whole time I'm like, ugh. this girl needs a do-over. if only she'd give herself a flippin' chance...

And so it begins with a sassy haircut and a second look at the cute boy from the coffee shop.

Maby is full angst and volatile personality, but she's delivered in a fresh, authentic way that adult readers can appreciate.  If this were a movie, I'd call it a dark-ish comedy and rate it R for sex and swearing.  At it's core, Maybe Maby is an entertaining story about overcoming crazy with opportunity.  I've read it twice.  Count them: one...two.


No comments: